Skip to main content

Thanks for the Memories


     A friend of mine is having some marriage problems.  His wife admitted to having an affair a few
months ago.  I suppose I should change their names to protect their identities.  Let me call him John and her Christina.  It's not a big surprise that this happened, in fact it was predicted from the very beginning.  So why am I going to write about it?  I don't know, perhaps simply because it's on my mind.  One thing I do find interesting about the situation is the way that everyone involved and everyone around the situation has perceived and reacted to it.  In my own case, I have been a close friend with John for over 25 years.  So, I cannot say that my own perceptions are not biased.  However, they are quite different fro John's.  Before I become involved in this that John and Christina have two young daughters.  This of course complicated the matter severely.

     Just to give you a little background on the, they have been married about six years.  They met in a small local Irish pub, John started dating her best friend.  This did not work out, and about afterwards Christina was pregnant with their first daughter.  John now works in the computer industry and Christina is a homemaker and full-time mother with two young daughters.  Although, they are making good money right now, the couple filed for bankruptcy after they first married.  This was because both of them had large credit card billy from various personal expenditures.  Anyway disregarding advice from family and friends on both sides the couple still married.  It seemed to me that they were happy for a time and even now still have flashes of that happiness.  This may be because John and Christina have tried to keep the illusion of happiness for others as much as for themselves.  Other people's perceptions are very important to them.

     Unfortunately for them their charade is known to almost all of their friends.  The man who Christina had her affair with was on John's and my dart team.  After John had become suspicious of what was going on, this man (I'll call him Dick) left the team.  Dick is friends with most of the team.  Even after the other members found out what was suspected, some of them refuse to believe without proof.  Although it annoys me, I can find no fault with their actions.  They simply wish to take no side, and avoided being entangled within this web.  However, in doing this they have chosen a side.  It seems to me that once a thing like this has happened there is nothing you can do to avoid it.

     We had an incident just last week, when Dick showed up at our dart games. I believe that other members of the team were less than discouraging to him.  I understand that they are still friends, however, I think it is rude behavior to allow John and Dick to be in the same place.  If you're going to be friendly with both of them I think it is only common courtesy to try and keep them separated.  One member in particular (Bridget) went to ask Dick if he was going to play when I stopped her.  I did this for a number of reasons, mostly because John had just finished telling the team captain that if Dick played he would quit the team.  I was informed later on that my actions had angered Bridget  She said I had no right to stop her from doing anything.  I think she's right, and I felt very uncomfortable in stopping her.  But, don't you have to take a stand for what you believe is right.  She is friends with everyone involved including myself.  She has also stated that while friends with Dick, she has done nothing to encourage him from coming to the games.  For myself, I think asking Dick if he's going to play is encouragement enough.

     I do not know the reasons why Christina did what she did.  I suspect she did it to get a reaction out of John.  To make him angry, and force him to do something.  Either end the relationship, making him the bad-guy, or fight for her.  I don't suspect I'll ever be let in on her reasoning.  We don't have that kind of relationship.  I am her husband's friend, a pseudo-uncle to her children.  Someone to have over for dinner, at the children's parties, or other social gatherings.  She and I do not discuss things of a personal nature.  There is only small talk, about the kids school, upcoming events, and so on.  John and I have discussed the situation at length.  He has stated time and again that he cannot and will not get a divorce because he will lose his children.  I am not convinced that this is the main reason for not doing anything.  Because, that is exactly what he is doing, nothing.  He and Christina pretend that nothing is wrong.

     Another friend of mine thinks that the reason John will not take a stand is because he does not want to look like a failure.  O f course, living in a failed marriage is failure enough, wouldn't you agree?  My roommate likes to point out that family is very important to John.  Coming from a big family with two brothers and two sisters John does not want to be alone now.  For myself I understand all of these reasons.  They all make a lot of sense however, I don't think I could sit and do nothing.  Not having children, or even being married, I can't say what I would do.  I would like to think that I would take some kind of action.  I can't believe that the course they have chosen is good for themselves and their children.  I know I would like to take up the battle for my friend and put Dick in the hospital.  But I know it is also not my battle to fight.

     One last thought many people were hurt in the making of this story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

The World of Grey - Essay

      I've been trying to find a hero in this world of Grey.      Looking for something concrete in the shadows of today.         The black and white of yesterday has merged into one.      The roads to our future are blending with today.      Mixing, blending, merging closer together in every way.      Closer, and closer but somehow further apart, we stand.      Trying to find a hero in our Grey land.      I've been sitting atop silver with my mask in hand. Silver bullets at the ready, but there's not a werewolf in the land.      John Wayne was insensitive and superman's been flawed.      Robin has been killed off so Batman now stands by himself alone.      GI-Joe has lost his innocence and the mighty Casey has gone on strike.      All the bad guys are now politicians, who say there just trying to do right.      Are there any hero's allowed in a place of Grey, or have we been left to ourselves to go blind in the

Dreams of the Brother – Essay

     Three in the morning and Randy woke up with a start, he'd been dreaming about cats again.  This was the fifth time in as many night.  They were getting to him, he'd always considered himself a dog person.  So,  he couldn't understand why he'd dream about cats.  The dreams were getting worse to.  It had started with just one cat, that's all.  One persistent, little Tabby, who wouldn't leave his dream that first night.  Now though, there were hundreds, thousands maybe.      They weren't nightmares.   Not really, not in the true sense.   They were just disturbing.   The cats never did anything, they just wouldn't leave him alone.   It was all becoming to much for him.   He decided to go downstairs and get a glass of milk.   Milk, he thought, wow far to close to a cat.   I think I'll have a soda.      In the kitchen, Randy's brother Jake was sitting slumped over a glass of soda.   It was amazing. Jake looked like Randy felt.   Randy