Skip to main content

GUESS WHO I SAW TODAY – Essay


     Guess who I say today?  I saw Elvis at the shopping mall.  He was walking through the automotive section of Sears in a sequined jumpsuit.  I decided to follow him and see where he went.

     He seemed to wander aimlessly through all the aisles of the store until he saw the empty shoe department.  Once he saw that it was empty he immediately tried to jump up on a shoe platform only to find that since he had gained approximately 300 lbs. He could not jump high enough to get his feet off the ground.

     Once on top he started singing “Blue Suede Shoes”.  Instantly everybody's grandmother who was in the mall came screaming over to the Sears show department.  They started throwing money at the surprised sales clerk.  After his show concert ended Elvis left the store.

     I almost lost him after that as I was so engrossed in watching the sales clerk count all the money he had made, and all of the security people who had somehow shown up in the middle of the shoe concert and started carrying out grandmothers who had passed out from their excitement.

     However, at this point I took a guess at where Elvis would be.  I headed over to the food court.  Sure enough Elvis was in Taco Bell singing his order to the clerk.  The clerk was only about sixteen years old and didn't seem to recognize Elvis.  This really seemed to upset Elvis.  So he ate quickly and headed to McDonald's where the counter clerk was an older lady and once he was inside and she saw who he was she fainted.  That seemed to lift his spirits, so he ordered more food and ate happily.

     I ordered a light snack and sat down in a booth where I could watch the King eat.  When I finished my snack Elvis called med over to him.  I was shocked to find out that he noticed I was following him.  He told me it was all right and he knew the question I wanted to ask and he would tell me the answer, but first we had to go to the Baskin Robbins for some ice cream.

     In Baskin Robbins he said to me, “Son, I know what you are thinking.  You are asking yourself, “Why?”  So I'll tell you.  Being King was great but I just didn't have my freedom.  That's why I gave it all up for--freedom.  Now that is what I have--complete freedom.

     “King”, I said.  “You mean going through shopping malls all over the country is freedom?”  He said, “No, I've been going to shopping malls because the country-wide shopping mall tour was in my movie contract.  After all, even a completely free King has to make a living somehow.  After the King had finished he said, “Thank you.  Thank you very much.” and left.

     From somewhere I heard a voice come over the loud speaker in the mall say, “Elvis has left the building.” and I knew it was time to go home and marvel at my new wisdom.
     
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

The World of Grey - Essay

      I've been trying to find a hero in this world of Grey.      Looking for something concrete in the shadows of today.         The black and white of yesterday has merged into one.      The roads to our future are blending with today.      Mixing, blending, merging closer together in every way.      Closer, and closer but somehow further apart, we stand.      Trying to find a hero in our Grey land.      I've been sitting atop silver with my mask in hand. Silver bullets at the ready, but there's not a werewolf in the land.      John Wayne was insensitive and superman's been flawed.      Robin has been killed off so Batman now stands by himself alone.      GI-Joe has lost his innocence and the mighty Casey has gone on strike.      All the bad guys are now politicians, who say there just trying to do right.      Are there any hero's allowed in a place of Grey, or have we been left to ourselves to go blind in the

Dreams of the Brother – Essay

     Three in the morning and Randy woke up with a start, he'd been dreaming about cats again.  This was the fifth time in as many night.  They were getting to him, he'd always considered himself a dog person.  So,  he couldn't understand why he'd dream about cats.  The dreams were getting worse to.  It had started with just one cat, that's all.  One persistent, little Tabby, who wouldn't leave his dream that first night.  Now though, there were hundreds, thousands maybe.      They weren't nightmares.   Not really, not in the true sense.   They were just disturbing.   The cats never did anything, they just wouldn't leave him alone.   It was all becoming to much for him.   He decided to go downstairs and get a glass of milk.   Milk, he thought, wow far to close to a cat.   I think I'll have a soda.      In the kitchen, Randy's brother Jake was sitting slumped over a glass of soda.   It was amazing. Jake looked like Randy felt.   Randy