Skip to main content

My Life in Writing Essay #2


     My life as it pertains to writing and the events that have let me to this particular point in my life are quite unique and complex.  To quote the Grateful Dead “What a long strange trip its been”.  During the years in which you are to shape your personality and find who you are I can honestly say that I had no interest in writing at all. 

     This is true in my life from the beginning to about age twenty.  I would guess that this was the direct result of dyslexic.  Reading and writing did not come easy at all to me then and truthfully I still know absolutely nothing about spelling and grammar.  I spent all of my school years in the special classes working very hard to be almost as good as the rest of the kids my age.  I was told early on that I did not have what it takes to get a New York State's Regents Diploma and that I would probably never have a very high reading level.  It sounds worse than it was honestly.  Looking back I don't think I would want to change it if I could.  It gives me a sense of pride to know that I accomplished something nobody thought I could do at the time.  It also helped to create in me a stubborn steak that I am proud of, a lot people who know me, now know that I would die rather than give up a task I have set my mind too.

     Enough about that however, the other significant part of my childhood was and still is my love for story telling.  I say story telling because I never wrote anything down and the same story would change every time I told it.  I would to my memory tell any story to any member of my family at any time and keep them there listening for hours.  The other part of this is that I was never far from the T.V. And still for that matter have to drag myself away from it in order to get my work done.

     Starting at the age of twenty is when I say that my life changed.  At this time I was in the Marine Corps stationed in North Carolina.  The change accrued rather slowly .  I had started reading books to pass the time away while on night.  Pretty soon after this I had managed to work my way up to being a road unit with the military police.  As a road unit was responsible for a lot of incident reports (meaning domestic disturbances, thefts, assaults, everything that a regular police officer might be responsible for) and this is where I received my first taste of professional writing.

     The Marine Corps for me hold several different important points in my life.  It taught me more than I ever wanted to know and showed me things that people just shouldn't see.  However in the process it also made me strong enough to handle anything and holds several different distinctions for me as far as writing is concerned.  I distinguish the Marine Corps as teaching me how to write, giving me my worst writing experience, and also my most important works.

     When the Marine Corps decided to teach me report writing, in essence teaching me how to write they also gave me my worst writing experiences.  The sergeants in charge of teaching me would instruct me by grepping up my reports and saying that there was a problem with it go and fix it.  There was no direction in what the problem was only that there was one.  At the time all reports were hand written so every time they did this I had to rewrite the whole report over again.  This would go on for about twelve times per report before they would let me know where the problem was.  It could have been a simple as changing one word but they would still make me rewrite the report twelve different times.  In the end however I was very proficient in report writing.  I also call these reports my most important writing experience because they directly affected and may still be affecting someone's life.  While I was writing them I never gave them much thought but looking back now I see them as little pieces of documented history of things that happened on the bases that I was assigned to

     I left the Marine Corps on Friday, November 13, 1992 and for the most part drank my first year of freedom away.  I did start school at Dutchess Community College and took normal first semester classes because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.  One thing to note here is that I did at this point know what it was that I didn't want to do with my like.  I had been living that for the last four years.  This might have helped to shape why I went into the media arts.  In the Marine Corps I had no control over my life and no voice to say anything with.  Choosing media arts might just have been a subconscious way of making sure I had these things in the future.

     The media arts program was also an eye opening experience for me.  They told me how to look at the world as a camera operator or a director would.  This helped me to see the world in a much different way, a much more liberal way.  I'm not going to say the liberal way is the right way only that it was very different from the way I had been looking at things.  While attending Dutchess I also did a couple of other things that I never thought I would ever do.  I acted in a children's play and wrote short stories and even a poem or two  I know this wont sound like much to you, but for me these steps are building blocks in my life.

     Now when I sit down to write most of the fear is gone.  I'm still going through this change that has gotten me to this point and so I am still working out the processes of how and why I write.  To this end I believe that I am a gusher, having to write down things that come to me and go back latter to try and clean it up and make a story of it.  Why is the harder part maybe for control I'm in control when I write and I like that.

     Well by now you probably have a better understanding of me.  I hope you don't have a complete understanding, I hope I was able to leave enough out to keep myself interesting.  To recap it all for you what I can say is that my impression of artists were that they were all gay's who couldn't find a real job.  And now that's changed to just people who gay and straight are smart enough to avoid getting that real job and in the process helping to shape the world by influencing the people who see their work.  The only question left to answer is can this old dog, who never wanted to travel father than the local bar join that company in influencing the world.  I guess only time can answer that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

The World of Grey - Essay

      I've been trying to find a hero in this world of Grey.      Looking for something concrete in the shadows of today.         The black and white of yesterday has merged into one.      The roads to our future are blending with today.      Mixing, blending, merging closer together in every way.      Closer, and closer but somehow further apart, we stand.      Trying to find a hero in our Grey land.      I've been sitting atop silver with my mask in hand. Silver bullets at the ready, but there's not a werewolf in the land.      John Wayne was insensitive and superman's been flawed.      Robin has been killed off so Batman now stands by himself alone.      GI-Joe has lost his innocence and the mighty Casey has gone on strike.      All the bad guys are now politicians, who say there just trying to do right.      Are there any hero's allowed in a place of Grey, or have we been left to ourselves to go blind in the

Dreams of the Brother – Essay

     Three in the morning and Randy woke up with a start, he'd been dreaming about cats again.  This was the fifth time in as many night.  They were getting to him, he'd always considered himself a dog person.  So,  he couldn't understand why he'd dream about cats.  The dreams were getting worse to.  It had started with just one cat, that's all.  One persistent, little Tabby, who wouldn't leave his dream that first night.  Now though, there were hundreds, thousands maybe.      They weren't nightmares.   Not really, not in the true sense.   They were just disturbing.   The cats never did anything, they just wouldn't leave him alone.   It was all becoming to much for him.   He decided to go downstairs and get a glass of milk.   Milk, he thought, wow far to close to a cat.   I think I'll have a soda.      In the kitchen, Randy's brother Jake was sitting slumped over a glass of soda.   It was amazing. Jake looked like Randy felt.   Randy