Skip to main content

Sports – Essay

     I wonder what made people decide being tough and strong is a bad thing?  I wonder why the world neglected to tell me this?  In case the world just happens to be listening to this, I think tough and strong are good qualities.  In case I'm the only one who noticed life ain't easy.  Having these two qualities sure does help in dealing with life.

     As for Mr. McMurty, who claims that football romanticizes the mask of the romantic combatant and brings out feelings of violent aggression in spectators, I can only say I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the sport.  The mask of the romantic combatant.  I have no idea what that means.  The image it brings to my mind is Zorro, and I could not even begin to guess what Zorro has to do with society today.  Let alone football.  Concerning feelings of violent aggression , it is my personal opinion that we all have feelings of violent aggression twenty four hours a day.  If a football game cane safely release some of the anger we all carry around in us, I fail to see the harm its doing.  If fans cheer when a person gets hit during the game, I would suspect that the fans are not cheering the hit.  But, instead imagining that the person getting hit in there boss, wife, husband, kids, parents, teachers, or some other person who has exasperated their patients who is getting the blow.  This I believe to be a normal healthy release of pent-up emotions.

     I have noticed that the sports that are considered the most violent are also the sports that have the most action.  More people can be seen doing something at any given time in sports like football and hockey.  People may not be watching these sports for the violence.  They may simply be watching them because they have the short attention span I hear so often that all Americans have.  Other people like myself: do not stand and applaud when players get hurt, but simply watch the game for the skill, stamina, and pure atheism it takes to play the game.  One final point is that games like football and all sports instill in us is discipline.  It's this discipline that helps you keep going in a life that's not always fair and is never easy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

The World of Grey - Essay

      I've been trying to find a hero in this world of Grey.      Looking for something concrete in the shadows of today.         The black and white of yesterday has merged into one.      The roads to our future are blending with today.      Mixing, blending, merging closer together in every way.      Closer, and closer but somehow further apart, we stand.      Trying to find a hero in our Grey land.      I've been sitting atop silver with my mask in hand. Silver bullets at the ready, but there's not a werewolf in the land.      John Wayne was insensitive and superman's been flawed.      Robin has been killed off so Batman now stands by himself alone.      GI-Joe has lost his innocence and the mighty Casey has gone on strike.      All the bad guys are now politicians, who say there just trying to do right.      Are there any hero's allowed in a place of Grey, or have we been left to ourselves to go blind in the

Dreams of the Brother – Essay

     Three in the morning and Randy woke up with a start, he'd been dreaming about cats again.  This was the fifth time in as many night.  They were getting to him, he'd always considered himself a dog person.  So,  he couldn't understand why he'd dream about cats.  The dreams were getting worse to.  It had started with just one cat, that's all.  One persistent, little Tabby, who wouldn't leave his dream that first night.  Now though, there were hundreds, thousands maybe.      They weren't nightmares.   Not really, not in the true sense.   They were just disturbing.   The cats never did anything, they just wouldn't leave him alone.   It was all becoming to much for him.   He decided to go downstairs and get a glass of milk.   Milk, he thought, wow far to close to a cat.   I think I'll have a soda.      In the kitchen, Randy's brother Jake was sitting slumped over a glass of soda.   It was amazing. Jake looked like Randy felt.   Randy